Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Unplugged: The Case for Racing MP3-Free

Two runners wrote to us today to ask if we would reconsider our rule against running any of the three NC Marathon events -- full and half marathon and 5k -- with headphones and music players.

On the surface, the answer is easy: it's too dangerous. If you're blasting Springsteen's "Born to Run" to get you through mile 18, you may miss the runner behind you warning you that she's passing you, and so one of you may trip. Or you may miss a volunteer giving you directions on the course, an emergency vehicle needing to pass, or any number of safety concerns.

But the quiet secret is that few races, including ours, have people stationed along the course to police this rule. We're hardly going to hand you a cup of Gatorade with one hand and swipe away your iPod with the other.

The rule comes from the USA Track and Field folks, the sport's governing body. And as one of the runners noted today, the USATF recently amended its rule, allowing race directors to choose whether or not to allow headphones and devices. Why the change? Specifically, administrators said, because the rule is so difficult to enforce.

I claim to be a purist about this matter, telling people that I'm entertained enough by the great outdoors and the conversation with my running companions that I don't "need" tunes. I smirk at people (OK, mostly my husband) who can't start their run until they fuss with dials, buttons, cords, and the velcro that holds the thing to their arms. The truth is, though, I'm afraid to try it -- I have a feeling I'd love running to music, especially in a race. I remember how cool it was to hear all the live bands along the course at the Nashville marathon. The music lifted my mood, sometimes as if it was literally pulling me up a hill. So, kind of like horseback riding and skiing, I've avoided something I think I'd really fall for.

If you were race director and the safety and running experience of all your registered participants were up to you, how would you rule on this?

More important, what's on YOUR playlist?

6 comments:

  1. Response from an entrant: "good points in your blog, I used to be a non mp3 player runner myself, then one day my husband said, "just try it". Now I prefer it on longer runs although I admit once it could have caused an accident (not in a race). I think the key for runners in races w/ mp3 players is to constantly be aware of where the other runners are. There is an article on runnersworld.com on recent changes of the use of MP3 players in specific marathons, it may interest you. Thank you for your help"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer to focus on breathing and conversing--but I'm not a solo runner, so I have the distraction and support of my partners to keep me going.

    P.S. When did you run the Nashville Marathon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breathing is good, right up there with conversing!

    My pals and I ran Nashville in 2002, two years after Boston. Boston was a high, Nashville was a struggle. The bands every few mile were a bright spot though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I am running alone, and on a track or greenway, my MP3 player definitely lifts my mood and improves my times. I have used it in a few races also and it does make a difference. My favorite tunes are 80's tunes that I remember from high school and college, but I also have a mix of more modern tunes (nothing better than "Pump It" from Black Eyed Peas) and even a couple of upbeat classical songs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And Will, do you offer to sell copies of your exclusive running mix list on the black market? Your kids could do the downloading/copying?

    Improved performance is a factor I never considered with tunes. Thought that's what coffee was for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have you know that almost all of my music was legally obtained. What others do with it is their problem... As for improved performance, I need all the help I can get these days.

    ReplyDelete