Monday, February 23, 2009

Beyond running

We were talking today among some of the race committee about the idea of adding, in the future, a second day of events around cycling -- as many marathons are doing. So you could make a weekend out of a run one day, ride the next, and choose from distances like 100 miles, 60, and 25.
    I love bicycle touring -- not riding fast so much as riding far. It seems more of us are taking to the sport, with the whole range of abilities that running offers -- from the slow Sunday drivers to the speedsters.
   So this week's poll asks if, and how, you cross train.
   By the way, this is no wimpy crowd. The majority of responders say you get yourself through a hard long run with tough self talk. Man. I was of the find-any-distraction-I-can segment, as in telling my running partners to tell me their life stories, beginning with preschool, and let me just pant alongside you.

2 comments:

  1. Last night...everyone's going to think I made this up. But you know me, Lisa, I did not make this up. Last night I dreamt I was running with you and I could barely move. You were saying, come on, come on. Honest to Pete, I tried thinking of my mileage log. (Yes, that was me.) And when that didn't help, I tried to think of some tough talk. Too funny. I soon woke up.
    But I woke up wondering what the heck your tough talkers say to themselves. I invite them to share here in the comment section, if I may.

    Your faithful follower,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen! I love your dream. I hope I was being nice about the coaching.

    I don't know what tough talk works, it rarely does for me; usually I find it deflating. I remember Pam, the fitness instructor in Ohio, telling a woman once who only ran slow that it really is OK to suck air sometimes. I've never forgotten that. Sometimes it's OK to suck air.

    ReplyDelete