Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Maybe run with books on our heads?

Something I've been feeling intuitively just got reinforced by a little training tip on my Runner's World calendar: If you keep your torso upright while running, your shoulders back, you'll engage your abs. And believe me, my abs need all the engaging they can get.

But it also reminds me of something I read once, advice from a coach to a young runner about when he or she got tired in high school cross-country races. "Lean back," the coach said, "like there is a big pillow behind you." What in effect happens is your posture straightens up instead of slouching forward. Somehow this helps with fatigue -- try it.

Age keeps pulling my shoulders forward, rounding me over. I look in the mirror and, when I feel like I'm pulling my shoulders back to an extreme, I'm actually just upright. Please tell me I'm not the only one experiencing this? 

1 comment:

  1. One reader responds: "Same with me. If I pull my shoulders back as
    far as they can go, it looks like I'm standing up straight.

    My shoulders started to give me problems and it coincided with training
    for my first and only marathon. Related? Don't know. But I had a
    massage the other day and was told that the tightness in my shoulders
    came from the tightness in my pectoral muscles. In other words, from
    pulling forward. "

    ReplyDelete