Thursday, February 5, 2009

Defying middle-age mediocrity: One woman's story


Here's a powerful "why I run" statement from one of my Saturday morning running pals, Kelly. When I first met her last year, three years after she started running, I thought Kelly was about 12 years younger than she is -- thanks to running.
"Without running, I would still be an overweight, unmotivated and unhappy woman, stuck in a rut. Running has given me the courage and confidence to change my life.
   As I covered up the real me with the disguise of a suburban, overweight mom, I conformed to the age-appropriate stereotype. Judgement from my husband and self-inflicted guilt prevented me from doing things for myself. As I turned 38, I realized I needed to change. My desire to lose weight finally propelled me to start moving again. The time to get healthy and strong was overdue. So I took up running. I ran off the pounds, 35 of them. I ran away from baggy t-shirts and a mediocre middle-age image. I ran full force toward a new, happy me.
   It was difficult at first. I struggled to finish three miles. I was impatient and trying to run too fast. But I stuck with it. When I found a comfortable pace and patience, I ran farther. And my confidence increased. I'd hear, "I saw you running today! You look great!" and "What are you training for?" as I shopped in the grocery. So I set a goal: a half marathon. I didn't stop to wonder if I could do it.
   I joined a training group through a local running store. We met weekly and followed a half-marathon schedule. I found a runner's community and was delighted by how friendly, supportive, and encouraging these people were. I learned to put guilt aside. I became dedicated, almost obsessed with running. I'd finally found a true passion, one that was all my own, a way to feel happy independent of anyone else. 
    As I neared the half-marathon finish line, I saw my dad and sons beaming. My boys ran across the finish line with me. I did it! For the first time in my life I proved to myself that I could do something big. The accomplishment was a turning point. I found the courage to change other areas of my life.
   Running gives me strength that I draw on for many things, not just to run miles. I say, "If I can run a half-marathon, I can do anything!" I've become a healthy role model for my kids. With determination and sweat, I've shown myself that I can get where I want to be by simply moving one leg at a time. Like a good friend told me, 'Just keep picking them up and putting them down and you'll make it.'"

1 comment:

  1. I was working with Kelly when she first started running, and it motivated me to run more too. At the time, I was doing more walking than running. We ran the Susan Komen 5K in WS in 2006, and I finished a few minutes before Kelly. That was the last time I finished before her in any race. I couldn't be prouder of her positive transformation!

    ReplyDelete