Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Stalling, Part 2

Let's see. It's 15 degrees out there this morning. I just walked my older dog, who slid like crazy on the patches where yesterday's melting snow is now slippery ice. Like the county school system, my Tuesday running partner called off on account of the cold and ice. But I haven't run since Saturday, the sun is up, and I've been in this house for days it seems.
    It's scary how quickly I've lost my tough Ohio blood. A day like this would have been routine in Wooster with Pam, Patrice, and Beverly. We'd be grateful there was sun instead of gray skies, grateful that the wind isn't howling. I'd still be scared of the ice patches, but I'd force myself to be brave and try to keep up with them so I wouldn't miss any of the conversation.
   OK, here I go. Dena just inspired me -- if she can venture out, all the way up there in Madison (I think that's where she lives -- a far piece from Greensboro), I can go. I'll dig around to find my winter-weight tights that haven't seen much action in North Carolina, pull on my heavier mittens.
   It's weird to think that in two short months, the NC Marathon will be here, and it could be a hot day. There, that's a thought to ponder as I head out the door. Be careful out there!

2 comments:

  1. I'd prefer running outdoors in cold and slush to inside on the dreadmill, but I have practical considerations. I'm uninsured right now, and can't afford to take a spill on a slick spot and get injured. Medical bills on top of being laid up would literally add insult to injury. I run for my health, but here's an instance where I probably shouldn't run for the sake of my health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, thanks Cy.

    I like your new word, dreadmill. The only time I've liked them is when I'm stuck in a hotel in a city, running outside not an option, and I get on one of those things and play with the pace, try to set a 5K pr or something like that. Kills the boredom.

    ReplyDelete